Roof leaks can be caused by many different things. Storm damage from hail, tree damage from falling limbs, old worn out cracked and sun damaged shingles. However, 90% of all roof leaks are caused by improper installation or by defective metal flashing. Flashing is used to prevent water seeping into a building or house around an intersection or projection, like a chimney, dormer or vent. Most leaks in flashing occur because the flashing is nailed too tightly or the shingles are not trimmed correctly. Flashing is one of the most important elements of your roof because it seals the joints of your roof. The seams and joints are where leaking is most likely to occur. Look for flashing that is corroded, rusted or generally deteriorated by exposure to the elements. That being said, Koppel Services roofing installers will also look for any other roof damage that could lead to additional problems. Clogged gutters also be a cause of roofing problems. Water may flow over the back of the gutter and seep behind the walls. If leaks are not addressed, the structure of your home may be weakened as the building frame continues to be exposed to dampness. Have Koppel Services check your roof every spring. We will fix anything that we think could lead to serious water damage down the road. Call us, Koppel Services roofing contractors are the most experienced in the state.
Koppel Services roofers also do replacement roofing and deal directly with your insurance company. What this means to you, is that you are working with an honest company with a solid long term history that insurance companies can trust.
As you begin your research for a roofing contractor, there are some several important factors to keep in mind so you are prepared before the job is started (read the background of our founder on the about us page). The more you know and are educated on how to choose a quality contractor, the more likely you are to choose Koppel Services.
Factors to consider before choosing a roofing contractor.
1. Financial Stability. A signed character document from a bank will show you the financial stability and the bank’s judgment of character of the company you are considering.
2. General Liability Insurance Certificate . You need to know if your contractor carries general liability insurance for both commercial and residential projects. A sizable contractor will carry no less than $500,000 insurance coverage. Over seventy five percent of roofing companies do not carry proper insurance coverage to protect you against losses from their negligence.
3. Arbitration Statement In Contract: Ask to see the arbitration statement in your contract. If problems arise and you are not satisfied the roofer agrees to settle disputes through binding arbitration. Without this agreement, you have no recourse.
4. Current References: All reputable roofers carry pre-printed lists of references…. that includes old customers from 10 years ago as well as new ones. Check with roofing supply companies as well.
5. Reputable roofing contractors will not need cash up front for 99% of all jobs. The only circumstances that MAY make it necessary is if you special order non-returnable materials, or insurance does not cover your repairs and you have questionable credit. Be careful of contractors who ask for money up front, this is the number one area of fraud among contractors.
6. Trade Association Certificates of Standing
7. Make sure every individual member is certified. The person who needs the certification the most is the installer, not the owner.
8. Quality Inspection Checklist and walk through. Ask to see their Quality Inspection Checklist. this is a checklist they use at the end of every job. A Certified Inspector should be provided at the completion of the job to review the installation checklist. This walk through should occur prior to making any payment.
We hope this list will give you the knowledge you need to find the best contractor for your roofing project.